dimanche 28 septembre 2014

Refusal September 28, 2014



During my stage, I had a patient with dementia. When I first went to see him to introduce myself, he wasn't happy because he didn't sleep well. I told him that I understand and I would let him rest, then I explained him what procedures needed to be done and then he got mad. He said that he didn't want to do anything. I let him calm down and told him I would come back in few minutes.
When I returned in his room with the machine to take his vital signs, he started yelling that me and said that he didn't wanted us to touch him. So I went to see my teacher, and she also tried to take the patient's blood pressure but same reaction, he refused.
I tried to resonate him by telling him that what we were doing was for his good. As nurse, I knew the consequences that would happen to him if he would refuse to take his medications,refuse to eat,etc.
So I tried to keep him pushing but it was unsuccessful so the teacher said that we should accept his choices and did not disturb him.
After this experience, I felt like I couldn't bring good to this patient. I was also thinking that we are trying our best to improve our patient's condition, but when they don't want to we have to accept it even if we don't want to. This is in a way forcing them to get better.

       

Nursing ethics
Qais Khedri

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire