samedi 4 octobre 2014

October 4th,2014 Who has the priority ?


This week in stage one of my patient was 70 years old. He was there because of he had pneumonia. Before meeting my patient I looked at the report to see if there was something to his profile. I saw in his profile that he could eat, mobilize, and go to bathroom independently. Then as usual, I went and met him, I took his vital signs and then observed him eating his breakfast. He actually could eat by his own but it was taking him time between each bite(he ate all his breakfast). Then during dinner, I entered in my pt's room and saw the PAB feeding him. I asked her if it was the patient that asked to  be fed, she said no. Then I told her that he can eat by his own, She said that ''yes but he's taking too much time and we need to send the tray soon,’’. I didn't say much in  front of the patient but really wanted to make her stop feeding him.  I was really surprised that she would prioritize ''her time'' instead of helping the patient's autonomy.


Following this, I asked myself that how can we keep the patient's autonomy if we do things that they are able to do. And in that case, the patient wasn't allowed to make his own decision. It was a form of coercion where she was forcing the patient to eat at her speed, thereby limiting his choice and freedom. The promotion of patient's autonomy was not met and the principle of beneficence by the PAB was not respected. I should have advocated more for the patient. She could have putted the pt’s interest before her own interest.

Qais Khedri 
Nursing Ethics 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire