mercredi 8 octobre 2014

Patient in pain October 8,2014

I remember a patient that was in moderate pain. I was assessing his pain and I could see that it was unbearable. The patient had his medication an hour ago and on his prescription it was ordered to give the medication 1 dose every 4 hours. The patient really wanted me to give his pain medication even if I tried to resonate him that it was dangerous to give it now because of the effects it could have on the body (respiratory depression,death). I could see that the patient was suffering so I tried non-therapeutic management, I suggested him to think of something else (reading) he said no, Then a warm compress and put it on the area where the pain was. He said that it was helpful and relieving, 
I used beneficence and non-maleficence because giving him his medication could potentially harm him so finding other ways of doing thins was the best to do for my patient. The warm compress was helpful so I kept doing this until he felt asleep. Then when the time can to give him his medication, he took it and thanked me for what I did to him. 


I told him that I did what we is our duty to do. I felt happy bout myself because the outcome of my intervention was successful. I found it interesting because we can find alternatives and not only have the patient think that the only way to treat pain is medication. Showing the patient that you can control a situation like that is helpful because the patient has more a sense of trust afterwards.
Continuing learning more non-pharmacological techniques will be useful because if the one I did would not work, then I could try other alternatives.








Qais Khedri
Nursing Ethics

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire