dimanche 26 octobre 2014

october 26,2014 Husband to the rescue

Last week in stage, my first patient was having problem with her lung and her heart. At report, the nurse told me that the patient was not cooperative with the team and she didn't want to put her O2 mask on. I went to see her, introduced her in a calm way. Tried to understand her situation at first she didn't talk but I stayed in the room and she started saying that the nurses and doctor were not helping her. I resonated her and said that if they want her to have her oxygen mask, it's because she need it otherwise she will desaturate. She knew that but was saying that she had a lot of problems and wouldn't make it. I said that the oxygen mask will make her feel better and that it's a start. She still refused to wear it.
So I told myself that this is not helping her. I knew the consequences that could happen. I thought of whether I say these potential complications to her or I keep it for myself. I chose to keep it for myself because the patient was already negative about her problem and telling her what could happen if she doesn't cooperate could worsen and bring more negativeness in her mind.
I knew that by not telling her everything I wasn't respecting the patient's right but on the other side, she didn't ask to know it and I know it wouldn't make her situation any better. I went and talked about the situation with my nurse and she agreed that it wouldn't be a good idea to talk about the complications of not wearing a mask.
When I went back to see her, she had her mask on her, I told her it was a good thing and she said that when she called her husband, he also encouraged her to put it that is why she did it.



Qais Khedri
Nursing Ethics





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire