samedi 13 septembre 2014

September 13th 2014 TRANSITION TO A NEW HOME





Yesterday was my first day in stage and I heard a discussion about something I never really paid attention to. I was in a room where there were two patients. The teacher was setting up to show a technique on my patient. At that time, there was a health professional that came to see the other patient in the room and her family members. That person came to tell the patient and her family that because the patient's heart was not functioning properly, so she would have to move in a nursing home. When she said these words, I realized how hard it can be hard for someone to know that he/she won't be able to go back at home again. And how this decision affects the family members too because they are worried that she might die far from them. The patient's daughter was asking a lot of questions as if there were other possibilities, if she will be safe, etc. I am aware that I shouldn't have had listened to the conversation but it was impossible not to hear them talking. After the experience, I thought of it and noticed how confidentiality should be respected. We have to provide privacy to our patients and respect their confidentiality as much as possible. Even though, the confidentiality was an issue, the health professional was very good in communicating with the patients and family. She was sitting beside the patient, was answering the questions with understandable words, and explained the pros and cons of why it would be better for the patient to try Nursing home. I found her way of communicating very interesting and professional and I can learn from this.

 


Usually when we go on stage in a long-term care centers. We see the patients already in their room, and not really paying attention to since when they are here. This experience will be very beneficial for me because now when I'll go at Nursing home, I will be aware that patients have had their own house, they had a life before coming here and some might not be happy about moving. And this will help in my nursing practice because I will understand the patients in long-term care centers better and reflect more on their past life, family support...










Nursing Ethics                                                             
Qais Khedri


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire